Find Scotland Tours that feature John O'Groats Ferries.
|Address:||John O'Groats Pier, Caithness, KW14 4YR|
|Tour times:||2 Types of day trip tours to Orkney from John o'Groats: |
The Highlights Tour: from 10.30 am to 6.00 pm (1st June to 31st August)
The Maxi Day Tour: from 8.45 am to 7.45 pm (1st May to 30th September)
|Admission:||Highlights Tour: £62 per adult, £31 per child under 16 accompanied by adults, under 5s free |
Maxi Day Tour: £66 per adult, £33 per child under 16 accompanied by adults, under 5s free
|Parking:||Yes, at the John O'Groats Pier|
|Accessibility:||The ferry is wheelchair accessible, however the bus on Orkney is not. Wheelchair on the bus are put in the luggage compartment.|
|Toilets:||There are toilets on the ferry, but not on the bus.|
John O'Groats Ferries offer ferry and tour bus services for the Orkney Isles. Typically, a day with John O'Groats Ferries involves return ferry crossings to Burwick, on the South end of the Isle of Ronaldsay, and a bus tour fo the Isles. The ferry crossings last 40 min each way.
The Highlights Tour offers the following:
- Departure from John O'Groats at 10.30 am.
- Meet the bus and driver at Burwick at 11.15 am.
- Tour the Isles of Orkney, including Skara Brae, The Churchill Barriers, Scapa Flow, Ring of Brodgar, The Standing Stones of Stenness, The Italian Chapel and Kirkwall. This includes some free time in Kirkwall.
- Back in Burwick for 5.00 pm to take the ferry.
- Arrival back in John O'Groats for 6.00 pm.
The Maxi Day Tour offers the following:
- Departure from John O'Groats at 8.45 am.
- Meet the bus and driver at Burwick at 9.45 am.
- Tour the Isles of Orkney, including Skara Brae the Stoneage village, Scapa Flow, Stromness, Kirkwall, Churchill Barriers, Ring of Brodgar, Standing Stones of Stenness and the Italian Chapel. This includes some time in Stromness and some time in Kirkwall.
- Back in Burwick for 6.45 pm to take the ferry.
- Arrival back in John O'Groats for 7.45 pm.
Please note that entrance to the different sites is NOT included. There is a guide on board the bus who gives details about the scenery and sites along the route, but the guide is Orcadian so the accent is sometimes tricky to understand!
This is a really good way to have a good overview of the Orkneys if you can't afford to stay on the islands or if you don't have the time to visit them for more than a day.